Followers

Saturday 6 February 2021

 

Personal Development


When I think about personal development and what it means for me I realise I'm a personal development junky!


Throughout my life I've always done courses or classes to improve myself or my skills,

never feeling as if I'd got all the tools I needed to be 'ready'.

But ready for what?

Ready to prove to myself and the world that I know what I'm talking about, that I'm a

bonafide actress, life coach, tutor, clairvoyant.

Because I never believed that I could be all of those things without being a dilettante, a dabbler. I thoughtthat in order to be taken seriously I had to choose one career and focus on it or fail.

I've gradually realised that all of these careers complement each other and that they give me a distinct advantage I can have it all but I don't have to try to do them all at once. 


I'm lucky, I can be flexible, I have choice!

Which in these strange times is a definite bonus.


Quite often (usually when I've convinced myself I'll never act again), an audition will

come completely out of the blue. My agent will email me, giving me the details of what to

do for the audition (usually to do a self tape due to social distancing), and the dates of

when I'd be needed if I get the job. I choose whether to do it or not depending on other

work I may have already committed to.


Sounds straight forward eh?


Except I usually want to do the acting job despite the other commitments and the stress, anxiety and fear of reorganising other work, because I LOVE ACTING and I know I'm good at it, I'm in my comfort zone playing other people!


It's taken me years to develop enough self belief to understand that it's ok to have fun and enjoy my work. Coming from a northern, working class, protestant work ethic, I got the message from childhood that only hard work was rewarded and anything that was fun was suspect and frivolous. And NEVER to blow my own trumpet or to be big headed enough to want to stand out from the crowd.


Since then I've become more self aware, I can honour myself and my multiple skills, experience and talents and with help from wonderful mentors I'm learning how to promote myself and my service to people who need my help and knowledge.


It's time for me to shine so I can help them shine too!

No comments:

Post a Comment